Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Leftover Bubbles? Yes, it does happen - 75 'em!

I love a French 75. Everyone loves a French 75. If you haven't had a French 75 yet, even you probably love them and just don't know it yet.

Early this year I realized how many cookbooks I have and how little love the vast majority receive. Because I like to take things to a neurotic level, this month I decided to burn through as much as I could of David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen. That's another post for another day, but after making a riff off his Tangering Champagne Sortbet with Champagne Gelée I had juuuuust enough sparkling rosé left to cobble together a pair of cocktails before dinner. I'd purchased a bottle of Luxardo Maraschino that day, so - inspired by the French 75, I shook together some gin and lemon juice with maraschino in place of simple syrup and garnished with a lemon twist and sprig of rosemary to compliment the sage and juniper notes in my favorite gin - Beehive Distilling's Jack Rabbit Gin [keep an eye out later this week for a post highlighting an evening spent with some of the best ladies around touring Beehive's Distillery and Bar X! In the meantime, check out Chelsea's post here

Maraschino 75

Maraschino 75
1.5oz Beehive Distilling Jack Rabbit Gin [or your favorite dry-style gin]
.75oz Luxardo Maraschino
.75oz lemon juice
*Approx 1-2oz bubbles [or more! - your glass size and appetite are the limit. Party hard. I used sparkling rosé, but cava, champagne, and prosecco are all lovely]

Shake gin, maraschino, and lemon juice with ice until thoroughly chilled. Strain into glass of your choice [traditionally a coupe or flute, but I like the flexibility a wine glass offers in the event that you want to go hard with the bubbles.] Top with bubbles and garnish with a lemon twist and sprig of rosemary. Sip outside and feel thankful into your bones that spring is finally around the corner.


Maraschino 75

If you don't have Marashino, a classic French 75 is tough to beat. Shake together 1.5oz gin, .75oz lemon juice, and .5oz simple syrup. Strain into a coupe or flute, top with champagne, and garnish with a lemon twist. Variations are endless - try swapping out the simple syrup for maple syrup and use bourbon in place of gin or try one with mezcal, a lime twist, and agave syrup! One of my favorite podcasts - The Speakeasy just did an episode that was pretty much 33 minutes of raving about French 75 variations... and now I'm ready to shake up another!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

LLet's talk!